Since the summer teevee drought has set in, I find myself scrambling around for new movies to watch. There are precious few that I haven’t seen that I actually want to see. So I’m going back to the tried and trues, the ones that have knocked my socks off once upon a time. I am looking forward to losing myself in these worlds that I have loved once again. What movies have you been dying to re-see?
10. Forrest Gump – Viewing some extraordinary moments in history through the eyes of an ordinary man shows us that none of us are actually ordinary. Plus, 346 varieties of shrimp. Who could refuse?
9. True Romance – Clarence + Alabama = true love and true romance always. Plus some ass kickings to popo, mobsters and killer pimps. You are so cool.
8. Big Fish – “A man tells his stories so many times that he becomes the stories. They live on after him, and in that way he becomes immortal.” – Will Bloom, Big Fish. And, oh the whimsy! Makes me a bit giddy.
7. Amelie – The quirk, the whimsy, the mischeivious beauty of Audrey Tautou. This sweet, fantastical movie is jam packed with the happy. I might need to move this to the top of the list.
6. Chariots of Fire – It’s been so long that all that has stuck to my brain pan is two runners from different religions running to the beautiful soundtrack. I do remember loving it to bits and hope to recall why that was.
5. The Philadelphia Story – There isn’t a bit of this quick, silly, witty, lovely movie that I don’t completely adore. If you haven’t seen it, it will NOT disappoint.
4. Trainspotting – Something about this movie just got up inside of me and I could relate in a way that was visceral, although I was ruled by la cocaína instead of junk. This movie also introduced me to the radically awesome Ewan McGregor. Watch with caution if you have sensitivity to poop related scenes or super sad stuff with kiddos.
3. The Big Lebowski - The Dude abides. And so should you.
2. Rushmore – Quit possibly my favorite movie of all time. Jason Schwartzman before he became a parody. Bill Murray in typical genius mode. Quirk. Whimsy. Hysterical.
1. Shaun of the Dead – Because my mama raised me right, Imma end on zombie.