RSS

Hello, My Name Is

21 Jan

So you know how I write responses for the Trifecta Writing Challenge?  When I can get my lazy rear in gear, that is.  Well, this is get to know you sesh for all the peeps that contribute over there.   Check out their answers too, they’re really not that intimidating.  Or at least they don’t appear to be through internet vision.  And join in while you’re at it.  You know you got the writing in you.

What is your name (real or otherwise)?

My birth name was Kristina Louise Haas.  Now I’m Joules Louise Freiboth.  Otherwise known as LucidLotusLife, Lulo, Ju, Mommy, Babes, Krissy Teeny Weeny, Hey You, Ma’am and other such endearments.

Describe your writing style in three words.

Bad.  Ass.  Does that count as one or two?  I’m never quite sure.
If we’re talking about my typical fare I’d say flip, ironic and fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants.  If we’re talking about the resurgence of my ‘creative’(gag) writing, I’d say fledgling, succinct and fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants.

How long have you been writing online?

January 1st was one year.  Holla.

Which, if any, other writing challenges do you participate in?

None.  I didn’t even remember that I loved to write and had been writing since I could correctly manipulate a pencil until Lisa woke me up.  I think about Velvet Verbosity’s 100 Words challenge and then I go, ooh shiny, and throw up some dumb video.  (Editor’s note: This video is not at all dumb, but totally fucking awesomesauce on toast with a side of rad)

Describe one way in which you could improve your writing.

I could write more than 150 words in a row.  Without using the word yo.

What is the best writing advice you’ve ever been given?

The first draft of anything is shit.  Ernest Hemingway

I actually stole that entire thing from Lisa’s because I’ve been led to believe that writing on the internet is more about using someone else’s shit and giving them credit for it.  Or not giving them credit for it.

Actually it hit me pretty hard in the gut because I NEVER write more than one draft, ergo all my shit is actually shit.  Bummer.  But a motivational bummer.

Who is your favorite author?

I’m going to be honest here instead of saying something like, yer mom or the guy who wrote the Mcdonald’s I’m Lovin It catchphrase.  This question is scarier than Borat’s balls because of all the Real Writers who will say shit like Nietzsche or Dostoevsky or fill in the blank of some super fantastico writer I’ve never heard of.  But I haven’t read those dudes, although I’m sure they’re amazeballs.  And my tastes appear far more plebeian.

I don’t know that I actually have a favorite anymore, although Stephen King ruled my teens and twenties.  Probably the closest thing to a favorite would be Neil Gaiman, but more for his comics than his books.  Not that his books are shite, but because I’ve only read a few of them.  And because Sandman is balls out epic.  I also love Brian Michael Bendis.  He is both prolific and as funny as they come.  I also love Orson Scott Card, Ray Bradbury, Kurt Vonnegut and John Irving.  And Amanda Boyden.  Why doesn’t that chick write more books?

How do you make time to write?

I don’t.  This is why I have missed several Trifecta deadlines and end up posting ridiculous videos at the last minute.

(Editor’s note: This video is absolutely ridiculous and has been verified as such)

Give us one word we should consider using as a prompt.

Since handjob is not currently recognized by Merriam Webster and the other two I came up with, succulent and salacious, don’t qualify due to only having two definitions, how about beast?

Direct us to one blog post of yours that we shouldn’t miss reading.

Good lord, self-promotion?  Awkward.  Why don’t you read through my entire history and point out the ones you think are most worthy?  We’re only talking 400 posts or so?  No?  Well then, hmm.  If you absolutely insist I’ll go with this onebecause getting it out there again keeps me honest and spits in the face of that bastard, depression, once again.  And all without the word yo.  Sort of miraculous.

Tags: , ,

CommentLuv badge

1. SAM

January 21, 2012 at 8:06 pm

It’s nice to meet you. I like your sense of humor, very evidennt here.,

• Lulo

January 21, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Hiya! Yeah, I try to reign it in. Doesn’t often work though;)

2. barbara

January 21, 2012 at 8:07 pm

gotta love someone who uses the word SHITE.

Shhhh – don’t tell anyone, but most of my writing is first draft stuff, too . . . although I have begun to edit a bit – mainly because of silly word limits and shite.

>..<

• Lulo

January 21, 2012 at 8:32 pm

YES. Another non-editor. And your stuff is mos def NOT shite, so maybe I’m all good.

3. Jessie Powell

January 21, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Nietzsche or Dostoevsky.

Hmmm…. Let’s start with Tolstoy.
    By the time Anna Karenina threw herself under that train (sorry – spoiler) I was ready to go with her. I was like, “Yes, I hate you. DIE DIE DIE”.

Mr. D? I like his style a little better, but he’s hard to take at one sitting. Do an audiobook, maybe? I can’t get through anything but the short stories, though I mean to and start them.

Nietzsche is more philosophy. He’s …. OK. And yes, I really did read something of his, but god helpme I don’t remember what. It falls into the extra-credit-for-an-overachieving-undergrad-wrote-an-essay-and-forgot about it category (Maybe beyond good and evil???)

Off to read about your depression. My monster is bipolar and god she’s a bitch, so I’m thinking we have tons in common.

• Lulo

January 21, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Maybe I’ll save that stuff for when I ‘retire’ at the ripe old age of ancient. I love this getting to know you stuff, pretty cool.

And mental illness is a motherfucker. Hate that guy.

4. Lance

January 21, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Are we related? Our sense of humor are indentical.

handjob should be used

• Lulo

January 22, 2012 at 2:09 am

Alright, two for handjob. Let’s start a petition and make this happen. Although it might be a little too easy for the likes of us.

• seeking elevation

January 22, 2012 at 2:54 am

In.

• Lulo

January 22, 2012 at 3:33 pm

YES. I had a feeling you’d be on board. Hopefully the silent one will be the voice of reason or this could descent fairly quickly into depravity.

• seeking elevation

January 23, 2012 at 6:36 am

He’d never consent to this type of tom foolery. BUT he does take vacations. . .

• Lulo

January 25, 2012 at 6:01 pm

This reminds me of being in empty halls late at night. Let’s rouse the rabble!

• Trifecta

January 23, 2012 at 7:37 am

Thanks for letting us get to know you better, LLL. I know that you had to be pushed into suggesting a piece for us to read but I loved the one you chose. Also, we liked your word suggestions so much that you’ll see one of them in next week’s challenge. No, not that word.

• Lulo

January 25, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Well, there’s always next week. Or during Silent Editors next vacay.

5. seeking elevation

January 22, 2012 at 2:54 am

heh heh. There’s a huge difference between reading literature and reading regular ole books, and I think anyone who suggests either one of those pursuits is invalid is an asshole. That’s my official Seeking Elevation opinion. Does handjob really not show in the dictionary? Well, from all the use it’s gotten this year on my blog alone, I bet it makes the 2013 additions.

(I don’t edit either. Who the hell has time to edit? Maybe if you’re writing a book, you edit. But when you’re expected to put up 5 blog posts a week, there isn’t time. Hemingway is old-school.)

• Lulo

January 22, 2012 at 3:28 pm

It’s in the Urban Dictionary, which would make for a totally different kind of challenge. The first definition is, the 21st century equivalent of the kiss. Which I thought was pretty freaking awesome. Even more awesome is the explanation under the third definition. I think these may the same people writing surveys at Quizopolis.

6. Satu

January 22, 2012 at 4:36 am

Nice meeting you. I like your sense of humour. :)

• Lulo

January 22, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Loving all this meet and greet community stuff:)

7. Amelia

January 22, 2012 at 3:59 pm

I love that post.
    Also, I like the word Yo. Yo.

• Lulo

January 25, 2012 at 5:53 pm

I like it too. A little too much I think.

8. Laciejay

March 10, 2012 at 6:31 pm

I love your sense of humor, and that video about cursing what hilarious. Sounds a bit like me at home. Anyways, ’twas nice to meet ya :)